Thursday, February 24, 2011

"Oh You Silly Elder"

This... is Elder Coles.  I can be a silly Elder sometimes.  And when I say silly I mean stupid.  Let me share a story with you all (the names used in this story are not the actual names of the people, except for me and my companions, but are fictional.  The story itself is true)

It was February 22 2011.  Elder Marsh, Elder Olsen and I had just finished having supper at a members house.  It was quite delicious.  We were full and satisfied and were ready to go out and preach the gospel.  It was 6:04 and we had an appointment with Aladin in a nearby town about 20 minutes away called Portland at 6:30.  We had about 84 reasons not to go to this appointment.  First off the appointment had been set up about 9 days prior to the actual day and we doubted Aladin even remembered our arranged meeting time.  Also when we were talking with him trying to set up a return appointment he told us he had been drinking a little bit too.  We didnt want to waste our precious miles to go see someone who probly didnt remember us.  That night we also had an awesome referal who we wanted to go see and we thought she would be more solid and would be a good use of our time.  She was closer too.  Like I said, we had a tonne of reasons not to go to this appointment.  But there was something telling me we needed to go.  I had no idea why, but I felt like we had to go to Portland that night.  When it came down to everything, we decided it was more logical to not waste our miles and go see someone who would be more receptive to our message and we ignored that feeling we had to go to Portland.  As soon as we missed the turn off to go to Portland, I knew we had made the wrong decision.  We all knew it.  Needless to say that was one of the worst 10 minute drives of my life to an investigators house.  Nothing was said.  We knew we made the wrong choice but we didnt want to acknowledge it.  When we got to the persons house, she of course was not there.  By this time we were even more dissapointed.  When we got back to the car, we all looked in our planners to figure out what we were going to do for the rest of the night, seeing as how two of our people we wanted to see fell through, and there was only one name that stood out to us, Jafar, who just so happened to live in Portland.  Now we knew for a fact that we should go to Portland.  Something said to me "Oh you silly Elder, why did you not listen the first time? Why did you not trust the spirit to lead you and guide you to go where you needed to go the first time?  Aladin was not the person you needed to see tonight, but Jafar was.  You should have listened, I should not have to spell things out to you, and you should not question me.  Just do it."  We went to Aladins house, just to make sure he forgot our appointment, and sure enough he wasn't even home.  We then went to Jafars house, and we tought an amazing lesson with him, and commited him to baptism.  I testify that the spirit is real.  I testify that as missionaries we are entitled to have the spirit with us and to recieve revelation for who we need to visit.  And I now have a even stronger testimony that the spirit will never lead anyone astray.  If we are obedient, and read and study the scriptures each day, we will have the spirit with us to lead us and guide us, if you are a missionary or not a missionary.  I know that this church is true and the Heavenly Father loves everyone of his childeren equally, and will not with hold his gospel from anyone who is looking for it, even though sometimes his servants can be a little silly.  

1 comment:

  1. Brent! Thank you for sharing that story! That is so sweet! And I also like the aladdin reference! I agree that this blog is going to be the worlds greatest blog! Good work! I hope your mission is being so fun! Bye!

    ReplyDelete