Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Joseph Smith

This... Is Elder Coles.  Joseph Smith is great.  He truly was called of God to restore the church of Jesus Christ back onto the earth.  This one day........... This is a true story (that didn't happen to me), but I'm going to tell it like it happened to me.  This happened to Joseph Smith.  For more details go to Joseph Smith History.

It was early spring in the year 1820.  I was confused.  You see, At this time there was great religious excitement in the region of the country where I lived, and it seemed like the whole district of the country was affected by it.  There were great multitudes of people uniting themselves together into different religious parties, some contending for the Methodist faith, some for Presbyterian and some the the Baptist.  Priest contending against priest, convert against convert.  It was a very confusing time for me.  After attending different churches and different meetings, I was still confused, because they all understood the same passages of scriptures so differently. 

I often asked myself "What is to be done?  Which of all these parties are right; or are they all wrong together?  If any one of them are right which is it, and how shall I know it?"  I decided to turn to the Bible for answers.  I was reading in the book of James in the New Testament, and I came across a scripture in the first chapter in verse five that struck me with more power than any verse I have ever read before.  The verse says, "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."  I thought if any one lacked wisdom at this time, I did.  I decided that I would do as James directed, and to ask God which church I should join. 

I retired to a grove of trees and I knelt down and started to pray.  When I started to pray, I received an answer that I was not expecting. 

I saw a pillar of light, exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me.  When the light rested upon me I saw two personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air.  One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other: "Joseph, this is My Beloved Son.  Hear Him"

All I wanted to do was to find out which church I should join.  I was answered that I should join none of them.  But I had actually seen a vision.  I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it, neither would I dare deny it. 

This... Is Elder Coles again.  This actually happened.  God the Father and Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph Smith and answered his prayer.  He was later called to be a prophet, translate the book of mormon, and restore the Church of Jesus Christ back onto this earth.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints has the fullness of the gospel, and a fullness of truth is where true happiness lies.

1 comment:

  1. What a great and uplifting BLOG! this is Amy Wilde (brooke's sister)in case you were wondering... I'm going to put a link to this on my blog!

    ReplyDelete