Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Kung Fu Panda


This... Is Elder Coles.  My favorite movie of all time is Kung Fu Panda.  One might say I like it a little too much.  Sometimes my parents would be looking for my little sister (7 years old) and would hear that Kung Fu Panda was playing downstairs and they would assume that it was her who was watching it and they would come down stairs expecting to find her but instead they see me sitting there watching Kung Fu Panda by myself and having the time of my life.  It is just so great. Examples of how awesome it is....

"I see you like to chew.  Then perhaps you should chew ON MY FIST!"
"He was so deadly, that his enemies would go blind from over exposure to pure awesomness!"
"There is no charge for awesomness... or attractivness."
"The invisible trident of destiny!"
"I've only seen paintings of that painting!"
"Ok, I'll go now...Your awesome... last thing I'm going to say."
"I'm not dying you idiot!"
"Hey!  Those are sensitive in the flabby parts."
"Skadoosh"
I could quote this movie forever.  But there is a message contained in this movie that I want to focus on.

When Po is given the dragon scroll (the scroll is the key to limitless power) he looks at it and its a mirror.  Po sees his reflection and says "its blank!"  Po did not understand where the power from the dragon scroll came from at first, until he spoke with his dad.

Po's dad:"I think its time I tell you something I should have told you a long time ago"
Po: "What is it?"
Po's dad: "The secret ingredient to my secret ingredient soup.  The secret is... nothing!"
Po: "Huh?  You mean its just plain noodle soup?  You dont add some kind of special sauce or something?"
Po's dad: "Nope, you dont have to.  To make something special you just have to believe its special."
Po then looks at the dragon scroll again and sees his reflection and says "there is no secret ingredient!"

I love the message that this movie gives.  To make something special you just have to believe its special.  To feel special you have to believe you are special.  How special we are.  We are all children of God.  Sometimes, we forget this message, and we focus on how ordinary we are.  There is so much we can learn from this movie though.  When we look in the mirror and see our reflections do we say like Tai Lung does in the movie "Its nothing!"  That is exactly what satan wants us to think.  But if we look in the mirror and we say to ourselves "I am a child of God, and I am special," then we can reach our full potential, just as Po did.  The gospel of Jesus Christ has helped me realize that I am a child of God, and that I have so much potential, and that he loves me!

1 comment: