Saturday, April 9, 2011

Love

This... Is Elder Coles.  I have been out here for four months now and I feel like I should be using more stories from my mission on this blog.  So thats what I'm going to do.  This one day.............

It was 10:00 pm.  We had a hard day full of missionary work and we were super tired.  After planning out our next day, we layed on the couch like fat blobs for a long time, not saying anything to eachother, just lying there.  I was feeling so lazy and I was contemplating just going to sleep right there on the couch and not even going to my bed.  My companion Elder Olsen felt the same way. 
It was almost bed time and Elder Olsen said to me "Elder Coles carry me to bed."
"Dude are you joking me??"  I was amazed that he would ask me something like that.  "I cant even get myself up the stairs to bed, let alone carrying a big guy like you up there with me!"
Then, Elder Olsen said something to me that made me think.
"Elder Coles, if you love me, keep my commandments.  I command you to carry me up to bed."
Now at this point, I wanted to punch Elder Olsen in the face.  But then I thought about what he said, and I do love the guy.
"Elder Coles, keep my commandments,"  he said to me again
Then I was like you know what, he is right.  I'm gonna do it!  So I jumped up off of the couch, picked him up(he is 185 pounds) like a princess, and carried him up the stairs and I put him to bed.  I was super, super tired after that, and we all slept like babies that night, and I felt good about what I did for my companion.


Jesus has said these same words to us.  "If ye love me, keep my commandments." (John 14:15)  What a simple, yet powerful statement.  If we really do love someone, then we are going to do everything we can to do what they ask of us right?  Why is it that we as childeren obey our parents?  Why do we do what our husbands or wives ask of us?  Why do we try help out our brothers and sisters when they ask for it?  It is because we love them.  Do we love the savior enough to keep his commandments that he has given us?
Sometimes, it is very hard to do what the savior asks of us.  There is so much temptation in this world that looks so appealing that sometimes we do break some of his commandments.  We all do.  But, the savior loves us.  And we can be forgiven because of him.
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.  Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you." (John 15:13-14)
Jesus Christ loves us so much that he layed down his life for us, so that we might be saved if we listen to him and keep his commandments.  I am so greatful for this love, and I want to show my love for him by keeping his commandments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment